Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Big Picture


I am roaming in a forest most of my day....running around from one place to the next, from person to person, from one task to the next. From above (I think) I might look like a worker ant trying to get as much done as possible before sundown. Most of my day I only see my next step; hardly looking back ......but always dreaming and hoping for a "play day."


When I have a camera in my hand, I am able to see even the smallest most marvelous detail as well as the big picture. For me photography is total freedom and joy.


Most recently I was walking around the Meat Packing District in NYC, when a brightly painted door caught my eye. Following the bright hues from door to the adjacent wall, I stumbled on what I thought was just a splash of random graffti. Pretty colors and large brush strokes. I took a couple of shots and walked away.


It wasn't until I walked across the street was I able to appreciate the total mural. It was truly a work of art! Are there museums for such work? If not there should be? Wow! If I hadn't turned around to look back, I would have missed it.


It got me thinking. What will my whole mural look like? What images, words, actions will I leave behind? You start thinking like this when you reach 50! (There I said it.....within 36 days I will be 50.) What do the past 438,000 hours look like collectively?

1 comment: